Updated Blogroll

You’ll notice some new links to the side there…these are blogs I want to read, found through Twitter, including the founder of the very cool #edchat.  I’ve also added a link to my own daughter’s blog, Answers Below Zero.  Here’s that story:

At ASTE this year, our junior senator gave a welcome speech to the crowd.  It was the same old I’m-doing-stuff-for-you-in-DC-I’m-on-your-side speech that politicians give to a room full of teachers.

Yada yada.

But he also shared a story about his own son.  His son had started an online storefront and was selling Christmas gifts from past years.  Clever, as his son is 10 or thereabouts.

That awoke my Mother Bear, because while this son already has an advantage to success in life because his dad is a politician (in fact, ask both our senators what their daddies did for work), I don’t see any reason why a senator’s son should have a technological advantage over my own daughter.  He shouldn’t.  The internet can be an equalizer, or at least should be.

After the speakers, I emailed my school administrator to ask that my daughter be given an online account with our school district.  That is standard in our district starting in 4th grade.  She was in 1st at the time.

The internet is an equalizer…if you are on it.  She is.  She likes the internet, and she likes having a presence there.   Answers Below Zero is completely her idea.  Check it out!

Post to Twitter