NaNoWriMo Update

Well, I lost the National Novel Writing Month challenge. My final word count for the month was 30,248 words.

Let me say that differently:

MY FINAL WORD COUNT WAS 30,248! GO ME!

That is a lot of words, and was a lot of time. I found I could do about 1,000 words and hour if I stayed focused on the task…which wasn’t the easiest accomplishment given the young humans in my home. I also realized that I did better when I mulled over the story in my head for a while before trying to write it.

I haven’t given up on the story. I think it is sweet (okay, maybe trite is the better word) and I have a new goal: 50,000 words in 2011. I’m 60% of the way there.

One of the unforeseen effects of this novel writing thing is that I’m now teaching Creative Writing next semester. I had so much FUN just writing, I tossed that elective into the hat for our High Schoolers, and two are going to take it. Maybe I’ll have some time to write some more, because you always want to model learning, right?

The Office of Letters and Lights sponsors Script Frenzy in April: write a 75 page script in a month. That might be fun…we’ll see what my students think!

Write on!

Post to Twitter

One Comment to “NaNoWriMo Update”

1.   e10048 Says:

I would love to see my particular student write a novella. I think that is something that she would enjoy and she has come a long way in her writing style since you and Mrs. P have gotten ahold of her!